Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Life of an Introvert

A small fact about me: I am a slight introvert. I mean, I'm not one of those crazies who can't handle social situations, but I seriously prefer spending a Saturday night by myself than with people. It sounds mean, I know, but there is nothing better than the simplicity of not having to talk to anyone or please anyone or do what everyone else is doing. It is perfect for me to throw on my favorite, bulky fleece sweatshirt and read a good book or stalk people on facebook for endless hours from the comfort of my bed. And while I get a lot of crap about it, I simply don't care :) This being said, I do love a night out with friends, getting all dressed up and all that jazz and I guess I can call myself lucky that I don't suffer from major introversion. You really have a problem if you get stressed out over getting dinner with your daughter, DAD! I could tell he was getting a little awkward and nervous when he realized that he ran out of conversation topics and we were left staring at each other before our savior of a waitress finally delivered our dinner. My father is one of those people who will call you on the phone, ask you how you're doing, ask what you're doing and then end with a "Ok, I better let you go now" after like 3 minutes of talking. Great bonding time right there haha! After a night out, I can almost guarantee that he has to crawl in bed and recover after so much social interaction. Poor guy :). But, despite his ridiculously antisocial characteristics, I love him all the same. I'm actually pretty lucky to have a dad who can't stand people. It gets you out of spending hours making small talk with relatives you don't really even want to talk to. Once he's asked his two questions, he's had about enough talking and we can usually leave far earlier than everyone else. Thank goodness for social awkwardness.

Alright, now here's the real kicker: One of my favorite things to do is going shopping alone. At this point, I can imagine everyone thinking, she must not be a real girl, who all love to go shopping in huge groups for the satisfaction of walking out the dressing room and hearing an audience full of ooohhs and aahs at the stunning shirt they're wearing. Most people would say half the fun of buying new clothes is getting to buy them with people just so they can tell you  how cute you look in them. I would beg to differ. I like being able to walk around the whole store at a slow pace and not having to feel bad about making other people bored. I also have a problem with spending money; you could say I'm a bit of a tight wad. I get really stressed out about making any purchases, so it takes me awhile to commit to buying a $20 shirt. You have to consider lots of things when your making such life changing decisions haha!

Seriously?? I'm drooling all over myself...
Anyway, getting to the point of this post. Last weekend, I was feeling very introvert and decided to throw on a cute outfit and take a bus up to the nearest mall. The real reason I was going was to watch "The Lucky One", only the newest movie from Nicholas Sparks, including only the hottest actor on the face of the planet, Zac Efron. Being the fan that I am, I just had to see the movie. Being the introvert that I am, I decided just to go by myself and watch it, for pete's sake. Feeling on top of the world, I got their with plenty of time before the showtime, so I stopped to get some starbucks and a snack for the movie. I headed into that theater, got the best seat, right smack dab in the middle, and proceeded to enjoy a great drink and some spectacular cinema. Honestly, half of me went just to see Zac take his shirt off, but it turned out to be a really good movie!! I laughed, I cried, I was moved, and that's not just because I saw some sexy washboard abs. This was almost as good as the Notebook, which is quite the statement seeing as I am overly obsessed with that movie. Zac took on this very somber and quiet character and it was refreshing to see him in a different personality than he usually is. He suffers from post traumatic stress because of his time in the war and he develops a sort of shyness and inability to communicate with others. Anyway, he ends up walking all the way from Colorado to Illinois trying to find this girl who saved his life with her picture while he was in the service. I don't wanna ruin it for anyone who is going to go watch it )and everyone should) but there were some really funny moments and some really intense scenes. Overall, I loved it and I definitely recommend it!!

That was the first time I had ever gone to the movies by myself, but I actually quite enjoyed it. I was just lounging, my hair up in a messy bun, feet up on the seat in front of me, slurping down a vanilla bean frap and sporting my glasses so I could thoroughly enjoy Zac Efron's hot bod ;). I'm not going to lie, I felt a little out of place, seeing all these groups of people walking into the theater, but I didn't care once the movie started. After the movie was over, I walked around for awhile, dreaming about buying mac makeup and bloomingdale's shoes, then I caught a bus and went home, where I immediately got into my pajamas and retreated to my lonesome bedroom. Best Saturday ever. Just sayin :).

So there you have it! Being an introvert is very satisfying, especially when it involves starbucks and a great chick flick. It's even better when you have loads of money to blow on expensive clothes and top notch cosmetics, but that hasn't happened to me yet. Here's hoping one day it will, though!!

No comments:

Post a Comment