Friday, June 1, 2012

Sweet Nothings of Summer

I'm very pleased to announce that I am finally FINALLY home!! You don't realize how much you've missed a place until you're actually there, sleeping in your own bed, eating out of your own fridge and once again having all your laundry being done by your gracious and amazing mother. Seriously. I've been missing out on some pretty incredible stuff. I love being able to put my dish in the sink and know that I won't be yelled at about it. I love waking up at 9:00 and know that I'm in my own room. I love having all the things that I need without having to go shopping for them or asking my mom to ship them to me. I love opening my drawers and having all my clothes there. I love being able to call my friends up for an afternoon at the pool, which is exactly what I'm doing today. There really is nothing better than being home for summer.

I had quite the adventure at the airport in an attempt to come home. Apparently, flights can still be canceled in the beginning of summer, when there is absolutely no snow anywhere. I know. Crazy, right?! It was totally unexpected, but after dragging about 150 pounds of luggage and carry-ons into a tiny little airport, we were told that our flight was canceled that evening and that we should go grab our bags and go home. At that point, I just wanted to sit down and cry for a few hours. You don't know how much terrible and stressful and utterly exhausting the airport can be until you've carried two huge duffels, a backpack full of books and papers, a ballet bag full of dead pointe shoes, and a purse that you've pretty much shoved everything else that doesn't fit anywhere else. And, being the stupid, crazy cupcake fanatic that I am, we just HAD to buy one last dozen from Georgetown Cupcakes (I mean, who would I be if I didn't get my cupcakes before I left!). So, you can imagine my defeat and anguish when I realized that I had to do the entire process of dying and dragging myself with all that crap through the airport again. Thankfully, my mom and dad were there to take a little of the load off of me. My dad took one of my duffels and my mom carried my ballet bag. I don't know if I would have made it without them! But, after yet another dreadful trip through the airport, we finally made it home, in one piece, with all the luggage we left with. And even though I landed in a freaking dessert, brown grass and no trees, it felt amazing to be home in Colorado again. The air is dry as ever, there seems to be no real trees anywhere, but I love Colorado to death.

I've only been home for a few days now, but it has been a pretty eventful few days! I'm already starting to check off a few things from my summer bucket list, I drove for the first time in a manual car ON THE ROAD (ya, I was basically peeing myself the entire time. I only stalled it once, though, and I only shifted from 2nd to 5th gear once, so I would say it was actually quite a success!), I've already been on a lovely date, I've unpacked all my crap (which is really impressive for me. I'm the kind of person who will just leave my bags on my bedroom floor for about a week before getting around to pulling all the clothes I jammed into them), I finally finished my calculus class (HALLELUIAH!!), and I'm heading out to the pool in just a few minutes here. It's been full of sweet nothings, I would say. I've basically been wearing the same t-shirt and shorts this entire time I've been home, but that is the beauty of summer. I can be lazy all day long and no one will care! I can just pull on a pair of shoes and go driving with my brother. I can throw on a swimsuit and head out to the pool whenever I want. Ahh, I just love summer. You've got all this newfound freedom and all the time in the world to use it. I just can't wait to really get this summer started and make the most of my last summer as a kid, before I have to go out in the real world and be all responsible. At least I've had these past two years to practice being all mature and responsible. Whatever :) I'm throwing all that away for the next 3 months and doing whatever I want. And that includes all the things on my bucket list. If I don't check off all the things on that list, I will have to call this summer a failure. So wish me luck!!

I hope you are all enjoying your summers (or having fun finishing up school, all my buddies back in DC!!). I will check in hopefully pretty regularly, or whenever something totally awesome happens. But, seeing as this has been a pretty laid back start to my summer, I can't imagine anything mind blowing will happen anytime soon. We'll I must bid adieu and go to the pool. Officially starting my tan tattoo today, and desperately trying to get rid of this terrible t-shirt tan line I picked up from sightseeing in DC on memorial day. I look like a dork. I can imagine this tan line in my swimsuit will not be too attractive. . .thank goodness it's only my friends and me at the pool today!! Here's to hoping I can tan this summer!!!

Until next time,
your ballerina to be

No comments:

Post a Comment