Monday, May 21, 2012

Eight Eight Eight!!!


EIGHT MORE DAYS, PEOPLE!!! count em. . . that means just one more week and a day! That means just 192 hours left! That means 11,520 minutes left!.. alright this is getting extreme. Let's just stick to 8 days. It's a lot simpler that way. The psycho in me wants to start packing right now, but the sensible little voice in my head keeps telling me not to. I can't decide who I want to listen to at this point! I guess we will find out tonight when my suitcases are thrown across the room and their are clothes all over the floor :) you win, psycho person!

8. This is sort of a weird one, but I'm going to miss all the sounds of DC. You know when you move to a new place or you spend the night at someone else's house and everything sounds unfamiliar and you can't seem to sleep or focus on anything because all you can think about is the annoying radiator noise in the background, or the sound of the cars driving by outside? When I first moved here, I could not sleep because all I could hear all night was the sound of the buses stopping outside my house and the firetruck sirens flying by and the airplanes flying overhead. But, slowly but surely, these noises have become part of everyday. Every half hour or so, I can be assured that at least one bus will screech its brakes outside and at least once a day, a helicopter makes its way over my roof. During the day, I can hear everything that's going on downstairs in the kitchen and I can hear people talking on the back porch. All these disturbances used to bother me, but now they serve as a sort of comfort. I've grown accustomed to all the same sounds, every single day. It's going to be weird re-adjusting to the noises of home in just 8 days. I'm going to miss the sound of the chirping birds outside my window, and the noise of the bathroom door opening and closing as my roommates get ready each morning. I'm going to miss the sirens heading towards the fire station just down the road from my house. I'm going to miss the noise of cupboards falling closed downstairs, and the voices I hear as I do my morning school work. I'm going to miss all the international phone calls to home happening right behind my doors. It's kinda nice listening to the Portuguese and Spanish words every evening. I'm going to miss hearing my roommates alarm clocks and their various tunes and pitches (weird as that may be). This house has truly become a home for me and it's going to be weird leaving it behind.

Now for an item from my summer bucket list: Make homemade pasta. And I mean, homemade noodles, homemade sauce, the whole shebang. It's just so easy opening a package of dried noodles and dumping a jar of pasta sauce on them once they've boiled. I want to make the real deal. I am in love with pasta. If I had to live on one thing for the rest of my life, it would be pasta, regardless of the carbs :) Sure, I might be morbidly obese for the rest of my life, but I would be too happy slurping up pasta carbonara and scarfing down pesto cavatapi to even notice the size of my waistline. So, this is officially on my things to do list for Summer 2012. I can't wait to try this out!!... although I am slightly worried it's going to turn out just horrible haha! I guess we will have to see!
Seriously.. drooling all over myself right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment