Thursday, March 1, 2012

Oh the Joys of Packing. . .

After a very stressful day in the studio, which included fought back tears, spanking new pointe shoes that refused to work in any way and an utter disappointment in my dancing abilities whatsoever, I walked through my door to the realization of my incredible hatred towards packing. I just don't understand the logic in creating a perfectly organized suitcase when we all know that, the second you walk into that hotel, all of your clothes are going to be scattered everywhere, your suitcase will turn into a horrible pig stye and you will never be able to find anything in it again. For some reason, all people think it is a good idea to stack every piece of clothing, just to find out the shirt that goes perfect with your outfit is exactly on the bottom of the pile. How convenient is that?? Then, you spend the next 5 minutes shuffling through your bag trying to retrieve it, which, in the process, ruins all the cleanly folded shirts and topples over all the categorized piles. It would be much easier and much more efficient to simply throw all of the stuff that needs to be packed in the back of your car. This way, you save precious hours of your evening that could have been spent watching the newest episode of Grey's Anatomy or finishing off that pint of ice cream that has been sitting in the back of your freezer for way too long. In my case, way too long is about the time period of 3 hours, but that's just because I am literally obsessed with ice cream. Plus, all your crap would be easily accessible and you wouldn't have to dig through your entire bag just to get the one thing you needed. Isn't it always the case that the shirt your are most looking for is always the hardest to find? Just a thought. . .

In my ranting about how much I despise packing, I have completely forgone the reason for my road trip behavior! Tomorrow morning, me and 14 other dancers for the Washington School of Ballet will be driving up to Torrington, Connecticut for YAGP regionals. There are some serious butterflies in my stomach already, and I am not even there yet. We have been rehearsing for quite some time now, both on our solos and our ensemble piece, so all we can do now is hope for the best and pray to the ballet gods who will hopefully grant us some major luck and help us nail it. Or, we can just squish some spiders on our pointe shoes. Call me crazy, but I truly believe that squished bugs on the bottom of your shoes help you turn better. It is proven fact. . . . ok maybe not, but it sure does give you a little bit of confidence. I am really excited to go to YAGP, but this is my first time and I am really nervous, not to mention I wish I had like 3 more months to rehearse my solos, which are definitely not up to par. But, we will just have to see what happens.

Anyway, after I had to endure that mess of packing, I decided I would prepare the road trip snacks, which will be of utmost importance, seeing as I get so bored during road trips, I usually end up eating my weight in crackers and nilla wafers. I had been seeing a lot of pins on pinterest about cake batter muddy buddies and I couldn't help but check out the recipe and drool all over myself whenever a picture came up of them. My family and I love making the regular muddy buddies, you know with peanut butter and chocolate, but never had I seen cake better flavored ones. When it comes to cake batter, I usually can't say no, and what a better time to test them out than for a road trip!

So I got to work, melting my white chocolate chips, digging my hands into the gooey chocolate and chex, powdering them up with a yellow cake mix, and, of course, testing those babies out when it was all said and done. I mean, what kind of cook would I be to not test my creations before giving them away. It's just common courtesy to make sure what you have just made tastes acceptable. But, that definitely doesn't mean I'm sharing with anyone :) I also purchased some Raisinettes, which are my guilty pleasure and I literally can't stop from eating the whole bag sometimes, and some trail mix, so I think I am well covered for my road food.

Well, it is past my bedtime. We have to get up early and get on the road. I am so excited for this amazing road trip, and even more thrilled for the competition. Wish me luck! I will be enjoying my muddy buddies soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment